Tuesday, June 14, 2005

This Girl's Got Issues - Let Them Be.

For years I’ve hated birthdays with a passion far exceeding that of those approaching some socially-directed milestone. Everyone around me knows it, and up to now they have respected this, albeit with reluctance.

What they don’t seem to understand though, is that, said milestone approaching does not eradicate this loathing. This year is no exception; I don’t want to know. I don’t want expensive things, and I sure as hell don’t want a party – so stop fucking asking (!), I don’t want a ‘celebratory dinner’ or a ‘drink or two’ with friends. I don’t even want a cake. I hate the fuss – it just makes me uncomfortable. What I really, really want, is for the day to go unnoticed. Completely. This means no birthday-song awakenings, no gift-unwrapping rituals, not even a verbal congratulation. Please, guys, leave it alone.

It’s not the aging thing, getting older’s not an issue. And I’m sure 21 is as pleasant an age as any other. In fact, it means that when I visit friends and family in the good ole USA, I can occupy liquor stores, bars, clubs, and the haven of Oneida, completely legally, and I won’t have to fabricate at all. Hooray!

It’s simply that events surrounding my birthday have a tendency to suffer some acidic curse, and on the rare occasions that they don’t, there’s always going be residual horror overcastting any joy. So, if you do plan anything, it’ll either go horribly wrong, or my heart won’t be in it anyway, so your efforts are completely wasted.

Besides, They paint a picture of 21 as the quintessence of ecstasy and irresponsibility. It’s just so not me. I’m way too young for it, and yet, akin to this, I’m far too old.

So, let it float by, unassuming as any other day. And, if you must do something, lets go out, on any other day. It’ll be fun. But for Deity’s sake, don’t mention the B word.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

My dear, with our horribly infrequent gettings-together, just about anything we do, at any time, coud be declared to be in celebration of one birthday/religious, social or political holiday or another - of late, probably most of them at once! So in the unlikely, but enjoyable, event that you and I find ourselves out & about on our "special days", in the future, I resolve we do it in the name of Martin Luther King Day.

Rxx