Saturday, June 04, 2005

A noiseless life, a sheltered life.

I can't imagine what it will be like to spend 3 years without my music; the constant soundtrack of my life.

I can't imagine not having latin jazz to propell me through the pavements of a city strange and new; not peaking that mountain at sunrise with the songs of Middle Earth to share my awe; not having Pink or Aerosmith or Simple Plan to slide the travel hours along like silk.

And nothing to sheild me at will, to alter my thoughts or cloud my view and hide the things I do not want to know.

To be frank, I'm dreading it. But I know how much I'd miss with my audio-blankie at my side.

For starters, I'd skim past it all completely unaware. I would hear nothing of the local life in which I was submerged; no street musicians, or the sounds of childrens' play, or desperate cries from living hell. The waves, the rain, the slapping of produce to slabs at the live market, would all be lost forever. And caught in the current of the familiar Western Me, I'd see and taste and smell selectively as well.

And the people Out There - potential allies in my quest - will never have such wealth. So, although with speakers I could share my world with them, it can only build a shiny techno-barrier of class, or wealth, or race; a negativity I do not want to fight against, for it holds no meaning in my mind.

It'd be one more thing to fuss over; to break, or lose, or for someone else to find. And I'd have to replace it on return, costing hours as well as cash.

So, I guess it's something I just have to live without. In its place, only local noise and self-made Irish tunes. Just for the record though - it sucks.

No comments: