Monday, August 08, 2005

The Weekend of Almost Gloom.

Here, I must apologise to The Pest, as for a myriad of reasons, our weekend did not go to plan. I’m sorry, babe!

As the French Invaders departed, and I went off to work, So came Rachel from Southern Lands. By this point, I was exhausted from hauling children through the waves and other such healthily active endeavours, and mentally wiped from working in New Places. So, when she arrived all plans of midnight feast story-creating vanished from sight, though we still had hopeful plans for Saturday.

Saturday morning arrived and nothing much happened for a while, which was almost entirely my fault; I could hardly will myself to move. And though I do think it’s fantastic that despite our infrequent meetings, we can just as easily do nothing in each others company as if we were at each other’s houses every week, I feel rather guilty that we didn’t get to complete anything we’d planned. I have this bizarre image in my head, and indeed in reality with Other Friends, where, instead of enjoying being together, we rush about cramming activity and excitement in. Kind of like some parental visitation rights trauma. Odd, I know.

So, things just about got moving and I had to go to work, so Rachel went exploring in Leeds, miraculously returning in one piece, unaided by the natives. So Proud! Yet again, an evening of well, awakedness (I’m sure that’s not really a word) failed to be, as although not as tired as I should have been, a before 6 rising summoned me to bed, and I’d left before Rachel stirred the next day.

As I returned at 3pm, I struggled to stay awake, but we did manage at least to start a shared story. Then all too soon it was time for Rachel to leave.

But Rachel, in a Cambridge-moment (similar to a blonde one, but almost always relating to a real-world common sense event (her words, not mine)) got on the Wrong Train, something she will never live down. Her headstone may well read “Here lies Rachel. Genius. Got the Wrong Train.”

Anyway, despite me falling asleep, she got to watch the 1st episode of The L word, and we had more wonderful nothingness this morning.
And now, I’m off to work.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

It was a great weekend anyway, hun, and we'll do it again soon and make it tonnes (the metric kind) better. If I can brave the consequential dejection tonight, I may blog about my hideous odyssey back to Cam today (didn't make it for work) - if not, just know that I did manage it this time, in the end!

Ah me. Here's to having money, time, and words next time we meet. xx