Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spirit Of The Season.

Terry Pratchett is, at least, a Demi-God. And whatever you may think of me for reading and re-reading his works of genius, I will not apologise. Nor will I stop. They’re witty and poignant and so cleverly written that they allow you to escape the world, whilst knowing at the same time that you’re not escaping at all. Pratchett is an observationist of the highest order. And whilst his examination that “we need to train ourselves on the little lies, so that we can fall for the big lies, like justice, mercy, things like that”, it is hidden amongst the strange, believable fiction of the disc. Point proved.

There’s no praise high enough for the creature that is Pratchett.

And today, I discovered this parody of ritual, this analysis of belief, has been brought to life with the likes of David Jason. Perhaps some of the humour, which Pratchett exhumes so well in his descriptive paragraphs and built up dialogues, is lost. But the spirit of the thing is good. Very good.

Nevertheless, the man can’t act.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I found it very amusing that because the biggest star they'd been able to hire was playing Albert, Albert immediately became the starring character. I did think the adaptation lost something through being condensed (only got to see the second half when it was on at Xmas, though) but the spirit is still there.

Sarah Benwell said...

I'm not sure I agree that Albert became a starring role, at least, no more than he was in the book. The excellently portrayed Susan (who still totally reminds me of you) was undeniably the key to it all. Which, given who she is, and what she embodies, is exactly as it should be.