Saturday, January 21, 2006

Colours.

Friday lunchtime, I step out from the orange-box building where I play all day for stupid money, amidst the stormy purple clouds, and head over to the shop in search of lunch. The air is thick with thunderous heat, but somehow it's still cold enough to make me shiver, and everything around me is that simultaneously light and heavy rained-on hue.

But when I leave the store, two minutes later, the sun has sprung from nowhere. Everything glistens, a warm honey colour oozing from the ground, the lilac cloud-punctuated sky, the grass... even the poster-painted playground shines in new, exciting colour.

Thursday, I'm sure this would have slipped unnoticed, through the broken web of writer's word-net (it's like a butterfly net, only the weave is tighter). But now, after a day filled with cuddle-requests and honest open conversation, handprints painted over everything, jelly cubes, and those rocking on-a-spring playground thingeys, I cannot help but smile, and notice things again.

There are a thousand reasons that I love my job - I shall not bore you with them here. Suffice it to say that me and the under-fives, we're of the same mind. I'm saying nothing more.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love that light/heavy colouration just after storm rain. And, colours and conversation and just noticing things. I've been in the same mood a lot recently - perhaps no coincidence that I've also been more creative too? - and I'm really glad you are too!

Love ya hun, long may it last!