Thursday, July 28, 2005

In The Name Of The Saw Doctors (Oh God, Will It Ever Stop Raining?)

The cool breeze which floats around the house carries with it the playful rousing smell of heavy rain; the sort in which droplets beat an incessant pulse into your skin and makes you glad to be there.

Small pools are forming restlessly at doors and windows, and the cat-flap’s easy access has allowed a virtual lake into our kitchen.

The others stomp around, moaning bitterly about lost summers and should-be heatwaves, but I, standing so that 3 opposing draughts must reroute around my form, simply inhale the scent of a thousand happy memories, and am instantly content.

***
Though absent from blogger, I have not neglected creativity, I swear. Although a weekend of Mini-Wars on The Priory left no time to write. It was a brilliant weekend which I’ve sworn I shall repeat. 23 kids, 3 days; well-run outdoor pursuits activities, and a giant heap of chaotic fun. Group 1 was entrusted into my care; the best group, obviously, 7 characters aged 7-9. Some of the fun included sibling rivalry, as you’d expect, injury on the ropes course (though we all escaped unscathed from the climbing abseiling session. Weird.) and 45 minutes to get 13 girls to get up, showered and dressed; since a narrow L-shaped room meant 2 children could not pass without one clambering into a bunk-bed or the other child, this was rather like checkers, only with early-morning tempers waiting to explode. There were 3 working showers, reverting to cold water every 3 minutes. Fun! And I haven’t started on the camp fire, where BoyX fell asleep, or the midnight feast leader-meetings, where my Dad found a strawberry in his ear.

Back to creative happenings; I’ve almost re-written Homecoming, a sci-fi folk tale, accounting the long awaited return of the village Men. I’ll post it at Volatile Progressions when I’m done.

Also, I’ve been pasting into my head several gruesome fairy tales, in full and in part, to twist at whim for an eager up and coming audience. The twins are here this week!

No comments: